Looking for a better-for-you, senior-friendly holiday dessert? Look no further than this pistachio cranberry dark chocolate bark. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also a healthier option than the cakes and cookies that typically cover the holiday table.
This dessert combines dark chocolate, cranberries and pistachios in a sweet and savory delight. The addition of pistachios to the bark may make this a nice dessert for a senior with diabetes. When paired, protein sources like pistachios help regulate blood sugar when consuming refined carbohydrates like chocolate. However, like any dessert, this chocolate bark still contains sugar, so it’s always best eaten in moderation!
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 10-ounce bag dark chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup unshelled salted pistachios, chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Melt chocolate.*
- Pour melted chocolate on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Spread chocolate with spatula into about a ½-to-¼-inch layer.
- Sprinkle pistachios and cranberries evenly on top of chocolate and press down any loose pieces.
- Freeze until set, about 1-2 hours.
- Remove bark from sheet pan, and chop or break into roughly 2-inch squares.
* Two common ways to melt chocolate chips are through microwaving or heating on the stove. To microwave: Pour chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until melted. To heat over the stove: Bring a pot of water to simmer. Pour chocolate in a smaller pot or heat-safe bowl. Place bowl or small pot on top of simmering water and continuously stir chocolate until melted. Do not let any water seep into the chocolate or let the chocolate burn.