Color is a key indicator of nutritional status, and nothing screams vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients like colorful vegetables. A key nutrition recommendation often heard is to “eat the rainbow.” This common place phrase encourages eating a wide array of colored fruits and vegetables, as each color offers different nutrients.
These roasted rainbow vegetables are an excellent way to boost any senior’s daily nutrition. They are loaded with fiber, nutrients and healthy fats coming from the olive oil. Additionally, the bright colors are sure to entice and stir the appetite, making them a perfect dish for someone with a low appetite.
Time: 30 minutes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 5-6 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 2-inch sticks
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, toss all vegetables with oil and spices.
- Spread vegetables on a large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.